Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Wedding Ninong for the 3rd and 4th times

I became a wedding ninong (or principal sponsor) for the first time in 2017. It happened a second time in 2018. Then all of a sudden, in a span of just a week, I became a wedding ninong again for the 3rd and 4th times!


Interestingly enough, both weddings were out-of-town. Mon and Chelle got married first at Palazzo Venezia in Malolos, Bulacan. Both of them were my direct reports at the time that I left my previous job so a lot of our other teammates were also there, making it a reunion. I was quite happy that Chelle and Mon asked the male guests to come in Barong Tagalogs because I really miss wearing the national dress of the Philippines.


A first for me: I had to give a principal sponsor speech. When I met up with Mon and Chelle for lunch a few weeks before their wedding, they asked me if I could give a speech. They said that of all their principal sponsors, I was the one who knew both of them the most. I decided my speech would focus on what qualities both of them had that would ensure their marriage would shine and last through the ages. Their ninong gift to me was also a first: cheese bread and sylvannas from L.A. Bakeshop (among a few other things). Apparently, L.A. Bakeshop is a very popular bakery in Pampanga so I'm happy I got to try this.


Six days later, I found myself in San Fernando, Pampanga for the wedding of Migs and Diann at the Country Garden. Both of them reported to me in my previous role (the one I had right before I became Chelle and Mon's boss). As such, their wedding also turned into a pretty awesome reunion.


There was a bit of a scare for me though right before the wedding. For some reason, I thought the ceremony would also start at 4pm. I decided I would leave Metro Manila at around 1:30 pm so that I could get to the venue at around 3 to 3:30 and I would have enough time to get settled before the wedding. However, when I checked the invitation at around 11:30am, I realized that the wedding was at 3pm! I started to panic because I was at risk of being late (which would be a disaster because I was a principal sponsor). I ended up skipping lunch to help ensure I would get to the venue on time. As it turned out, I still arrived a few minutes after 3pm and I was worried that the ceremony would have already started. Thankfully, it hadn't. In fact, it actually started at around 4:30pm (it was really hot that afternoon so the coordinators decided to start the ceremony later in the day so that the sun wouldn't be so high up in the sky). That made me wish I had at least a quick lunch somewhere along the way LOL. I did make up for my missed meal by overeating during dinner. :)


Another first: I was asked to give a speech on the spot! Apparently, the principal sponsors who were supposed to share some words of wisdom to the newlyweds didn't make it. The coordinator ended up asking me and my ninang partner Maan (who took over as their manager when I changed roles) to give the speeches instead. I didn't want to say the same stuff I told Mon and Chelle LOL so I just did the best I could under the very last-minute circumstances.


As such, I am now a four-time wedding principal sponsor. I don't know how many more times I will be asked to be one but hopefully, I will be able to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of a ninong to all my current wedding godchildren. :)

No comments: