Tuesday, September 11, 2018

South America Trip of a Lifetime

Conceptualization started four years ago. Detailed planning started two years ago. More than 200 emails sent back and forth to my travel agent based halfway around the world. A lot of effort spent on visa application and flight booking. The result? An unforgettable trip of a lifetime to South America that brought me and my mom to three countries - Peru, Brazil, and Argentina - and allowed me to visit four places that have been in my bucket list for more than a decade. These were:

1. Machu Picchu in Peru


2. Christ the Redeemer (Cristo Redentor) in Brazil


3. Iguassu/Iguazu falls in Brazil/Argentina


4. Perito Moreno Glacier in Argentina


My mom and I spent 17 days in South America, took a total of 12 flights, and stayed in 10 different hotels. We also had to fly through Europe instead of the US or Canada because we didn't have transit visas. This meant that it took us 35 hours to go from the Philippines to Peru and 35 hours from Peru to Manila. It also meant that this trip was both expensive and exhausting. Still, it was absolutely worth it as it was very exhilarating, enriching, and soul-stirring. I will be writing in detail about this fantastic experience over the next several blog posts.

No comments: