Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Revisiting Batanes: Changes since 2012

A few notable changes since I was in Batanes two years ago. First, the Mahatao Lighthouse was repainted. Before seeing the picture I took back in 2012, I was convinced that this lighthouse used to be red so I when I saw it again, I thought it went through a major facelift. However, as you will see in the following photo, the lighthouse apparently has always been white and it was just given a fresh coat of paint. Another change: at least on the day that we were there last April, visitors were not allowed to go up the lighthouse. In my previous visit, I actually got to go up.


Another Batanes structure that was repainted was the San Jose De Ivana Church. As you can see below, the accents were changed from maroon to yellow.


It wasn't just the outside of this church that changed though. Inside, the altar area was also changed.


Inside the San Carlos Borromeo Church, visitors can find a statue of Mama Mary that is adorned with gold jewelry. The "clothing" of the statue has since been changed from violet to white and the statue is now protected behind a glass casing.


The saddest change though was the passing away of Lola Inday who resides in the House of Dakay, the oldest house in Batan island. I met her personally when she welcomed us into her home back in 2012. Unforunately, she passed away early this year at the age of 87.


I'll wrap up my Batanes trip by sharing a few travel tips and recommendations based on my latest experience here.

No comments: