Friday, August 01, 2014

Rest in Peace, Tito Roy

Another sad moment this year: my tito Roy passed away. His health had been deteriorating over the last few years but while he did start getting better recently, apparently it wasn't enough.

My cousins (his children) live abroad now and only arrived on Saturday. I wasn't able to go to the wake so I made sure I attended the final mass and cremation last Sunday morning. It was a sad affair not only because Tito Roy is now gone but also because my cousins have now lost both their parents. My grandmother was also there and I felt horrible that she has now lived past some of her children. Thankfully, she seemed to be handling it quite well. Despite the immense grief my family was going through, after the ceremony, we somehow found some composure and got to catch up with each other over lunch.

My other cousin, Maricel, said that our recent gatherings have been somewhat like the (old) mysteries of the rosary. Mama's 90th birthday and the 50th wedding anniversary of Tito Mario and Tita Florence were like the joyful mysteries. Tito Roy and Tita Ghie passing away were like the sorrowful mysteries. As such, she was saying that maybe the next time we all see each other, it will be glorious. Hopefully that does come true.

"Eternal rest grant unto Roy Pobre, O Lord
And let perpetual light shine upon him
May he rest in peace
Amen."

No comments: