Sunday, November 26, 2023

My Fitbit Broke

Very sad news for me: my Fitbit conked out. It started acting up while I was in Japan. The screen started going crazy, switching from one view to another, which resulted in the battery running out even if I just charged it fully the previous evening. I was thinking if I maybe accidentally dropped some sun screen on it. Interestingly enough, after I charged it again, it sort of started working. I say sort of because tapping on my Fitbit to switch screens wasn't really working anymore. However, it was still tracking everything like my steps, my heartrate, and my sleep, which I could see on my smartphone app.


Unfortunately, a few days ago, my Fitbit stopped working completely. It was my fault. Fitbits are supposed to be waterproof and you should be able to wear it even while in a swimming pool. So I kept it on when I went swimming. Unfortunately, after just a couple of minutes in the pool, my Fitbit screen blacked out. I thought it might have run out of battery but even after charging it and trying to reset it, I couldn't get it to turn on. I guess maybe because it already had a problem to begin with, submerging it in the pool water completely broke it.

I messaged Fitbit support and they gave me some clear instructions that I followed to a tee but still, it wouldn't turn on. It was no longer covered by warranty so Fitbit wouldn't replace it anymore.

To make matters worse, Fitbit pulled out of South East Asia recently so it's no longer available here. I could ask someone in the US to buy it for me (or maybe even try buying it on Amazon) but if it's not supported in the region anymore, I decided I wouldn't make too much sense to get one anymore. (I also considered the fact that Fitbits are quite expensive.) I now need to figure out if I want to replace it with another fitness monitor, and if so, which one.

No comments: