Thursday, December 31, 2020

Disney Christmas Advert 2020

I couldn't think of a better thing to write about in my last post of 2020 than Disney's Christmas advert that was released last month. I'm not sure how many times I've watched it but it really does move me every time. Why? Because it showcases the Filipino Christmas and the Filipino family. Check it out here:

 

video uploaded in youtube by Disney UK

As a human, there are so many things to love about this 3-minute story that is told without words. Seeing a young girl grow up to become a grandmother in another country then later lose her connection with her granddaughter before her granddaughter realizes the importance of spending quality time with family is a universal theme. It can surely be appreciated by anyone in the world.

As a Filipino, the story and its details become even more significant and heartwarming. This video honored the Philippine Christmas as well as our traditions, culture, and even language. Some of them, such as the parol, the mano, the flag, the skin color of the characters, and the word 'lola' are quite overt. There are a few less obvious ones, such as this doily which adorns many Filipino households along with the tin box reused as a container of arts and crafts items (very typical Pinoy):


...and the sewing machine, which many Filipinos also have at home.


That said, one of my favorite things - and I only discovered this when reading the comments on YouTube - is the picture of lola as a nurse. It feels to me like this acknowledgment that so many nurses all over the world are from the Philippines is a way of honoring them and the value that they bring.


A couple more things. The song in the video, Love is a Compass by Griff, is so beautiful (I've been listening to it a lot on Spotify since I discovered it). Check out Griff's piano performance of this song here. I also love that Disney UK released this tutorial of how to make a parol. So cool!

Thank you Disney for paying homage to the Philippine Christmas!

No comments: