Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Quarantine Stories Part 6

Metro Manila continues to be on GCQ and based on the most recent announcement, this quarantine will run until at least the end of November. In the last month, the Philippines was getting about two thousand new cases a day, making it still pretty risky to head out. As such, I always have a face mask and a face shield when I leave the safety of my home. I'm not sure if a face shield is required or if it is just encouraged, but  I know that some places require people to wear a face shield and it does add a layer of protection so I use one each time I head out. I also started using a bandana as a headband, kinda like a tennis player or an 80s rock star haha. It may not be the most fashionable thing to put on, but my hair is getting pretty long now so I need something to keep it away from my face. The bandana also catches a lot of sweat and prevents perspiration from dripping into my eyes. This is especially helpful now because wearing a face shield can make it quite hot.

I haven't had a haircut for almost 7 months now. While many people I know have gotten a haircut, I decided not to get one just yet  not only for safety purposes but also because I've always sported the same hairstyle my entire life and I've never had long hair before. I figured that now was as good a time as any to grow my hair out. I mentioned in a previous post that I started using conditioner again after decades of not using it. More recently, I bought a hairbrush from the supermarket and I also bought some hairbands from Lazada during their 9.9 sale last month.

Hairbands weren't the only items I purchased from Lazada recently. I also bought an extension cord, curtains, gifts that I plan to give my brothers for Christmas, and a ring light. There was a big scare though when I purchased expensive sunglasses at 25% off but I instead got sanitary napkins and lotion delivered to me! I was told by customer service that they could not replace the item but they would give me my money back. This sucked because the item I wanted to buy was no longer on sale. To make things worse, it took a couple of weeks for Lazada to pick up the wrong items. And when they did, I got a notification that my item return request was cancelled! Shortly after that, Lazada corrected the situation and reopened my return request and after some time, I got a notification saying that it had been processed and the amount I paid would be credited back to the card I used for my purchase. I finally breathed a big sigh of relief when the amount was finally credited back to my account. Whew!

Over the last several weeks, I also got to try a few new things. My normal decaf was not available at the supermarket but I spotted this Lavazza decaf. It's pretty expensive but I needed my decaf - my doctor told me I had to reduce my caffeine intake - so I decided to buy it. Thankfully, it turned out to be really good. Decaf coffee often tastes less robust than normal coffee but this one has a pretty strong coffee flavor so it doesn't feel like I'm drinking weak coffee.

I also tried Hansel Premium Cheese Sandwich because I've heard some really positive reviews from people who tried it, including my friend. I gotta say, it really is good!


I haven't been able to exercise as much as I did a few months ago and I started gaining weight so one time, I decided to try Keto ice cream which has very little sugar content. While it is definitely healthier than normal ice cream, it doesn't taste as good haha.. I guess it's okay to have it if you really want to reduce your sugar intake but still want something that tastes a bit sweet. That said, I haven't repurchased it since haha.


Finally, a friend of mine sent me sushi bake a few weeks ago. Sushi bake became popular in Metro Manila during quarantine but up until my friend sent me some, I hadn't tried it. Now that I've had it, I understand the hype. It's really very good! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take a photo because my friend had it sent to our house and it arrived while I was out. By the time I got home, it was already partially eaten. I think I will order this again next time (and I will make sure I take a picture then).

No comments: