Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Sing

I've been doing a lot of singing recently, mostly in karaoke places and each time, to celebrate a friend's birthday. For Mitch's birthday, my high school and college friends went to Centerstage along Jupiter Street in Makati. We hadn't been to a karaoke place in a few years so it was great that we got to do this again as a group. One highlight for me that evening was being able to add a new song to my karaoke repertoire: Calum Scott's version of the Robyn original, Dancing On My Own. Iona actually put that song in the queue and when it came up, I told her I really liked that song. She then said she actually put it on so that I could sing it. Apart from the fact that I love this song, I discovered that the song is in my range.

My board game friends and I also visited karaoke places twice in the last two months. First, we went to Celebrity Lounge along Shaw Boulevard for Niki's birthday. We ran through a whole lot of songs and when our time was up, there were still songs in our queue LOL. Unfortunately for us, while Celebrity has really good food and a solid karaoke playlist, it doesn't have songs from The Greatest Showman. So for Karen's birthday, we went to Rockstar KTV because I mentioned that Rockstar has many of the songs we didn't get to sing in Celebrity. True enough, when in Rockstar, we sang This Is Me, A Million Dreams, Never Enough, and Rewrite The Stars. I added another new song to my repertoire that night: Someone You Loved by Lewis Capaldi. I discovered this song recently and I've been listening to it religiously on Spotify. I haven't heard it on the radio yet though so I was massively surprised to see it in the Rockstar KTV playlist. I also previously thought that I didn't have the range to sing this song but apparently, I do (at least when I'm having a good day, vocally). Myna asked me what the title of this song was and she immediately added it to her Spotify playlist. Cool. :)

Aside from karaoke, I also had a singing gig at a wedding. KC and Jon got married a few weeks ago and I performed many songs that evening together with Ricci who accompanied me on guitar. Our set list was made up of about 20 songs from the 1990s and 2000s and Ricci and I had to rehearse a few times to make sure we were ready. A lot of the songs were not exactly wedding-appropriate but KC and Jon really liked them so I had to do a spiel at the start of our set to say that the set list was prepared by the couple and it included songs that had value to them, either individually or after they got together.. What was cool about this was that I got to sing many songs that I had never previously performed for a crowd, including John Mayer's Your Body is a Wonderland, Kamikazee's Narda, and Rivermaya's Hinahanap-Hanap Kita.

I'm supposed to sing at another wedding in a couple of weeks. It's been a while since I've done this so it's quite interesting that as 2019 comes to a close, I'm getting to put on my wedding singer hat again.

No comments: