Thursday, December 17, 2015

Star Wars VII The Force Awakens

When I found out that Star Wars VII The Force Awakens was showing in Manila on December 17, I made sure to catch immediately. (After all, I am a massive Star Wars fan.) Luckily, I managed to snag a good seat for the midnight screening on opening day. And I have to say, this movie exceeded my expectations and is my favorite movie of 2015.


Spoiler alert!
Stop reading now if you don't want to know more details about the movie that could slightly give away how the story unfolds.

I won't go into the detail of the plot but the great thing about this movie is how it manages to be very nostalgic for Star Wars geeks and fans of the original trilogy while introducing new characters - Rey, Finn, BB8, Poe Dameron, Maz Kanata, and heck even Kylo Ren - and getting audiences to connect to and appreciate them.

The thing I loved most about the film was seeing everyone from the original cast. Harrison Ford as Han Solo, Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca (although you of course can't see his face; I'm also happy he was able to join the cast despite having double knee replacement surgery two years ago), Anthony Daniels as C3PO, Carrie Fisher as Princess (General) Leia, and Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker. (Kenny Baker  is still credited as R2D2 although I have heard he is just credited but he actually didn't perform inside the robot.) The reintroduction of the Millennium Falcon made me cheer wildly on the inside. :) I also love the fact that they got John Williams to once again compose the music. While every reintroduction was awesome, my favorite was Princess (now General) Leia's, because it not only showed her on screen again but is also reignited her history with Han Solo. Any true-blue fan of the original knew about the relationship and seeing them back together was quite satisfying.




Of course, the biggest spoiler of them all is truly gut-wrenching. Practically the entire audience audibly gasped when it was finally revealed. And yes, even with my spoiler alert, I still don't want to write exactly what happened. The impact will probably not resonate as much if you are not deeply familiar with the original series but it still does make for interesting storytelling.

The Force Awakens is a fantastic film and is a great treat to both Star Wars geeks like myself and movie fans in general. If you haven't seen it yet, you should go out and see it.

No comments: