Sunday, June 28, 2015

Weekend in Pansol

Due to some recent organizational changes, I joined a new team at work a few months ago. To help make sure people in our new team felt integrated, many of us spent the weekend in Pansol. We were asked to be at the resort by noon so that the activities could start at 1PM but since some of our teammates work the graveyard shift, a lot of them took quick naps to recharge so the organizers decided to start the games a bit later. As I waited for the games to start and as most people were asleep, I started walking around the grounds when I saw a dartboard so I decided to play darts to while the time away. I played darts a scant few times in the past so I had never previously managed to hit the bullseye but with some time in my hands, I managed to hit the outer bullseye twice! (I couldn't hit the inner bullseye or triple 20 though, so the next time I have a chance, that will be my goal. :))


The games finally got under way in the early afternoon. From the totem creation and protection to the fear factor-style games where I ended up eating Jelliyum soaked in patis to the retrieval of white marbles at the bottom of the pool that became practically invisible once the water was no longer still, there were definitely a lot of opportunities to bond with people we didn't get to interact with before. Our team ended up in a tie for second place so it was decided to break the tie through a beer pong-inspired game where each team had to shoot a ping pong ball in all the cups of the opposing team. I was crap at that game (I manged to shoot the ball only twice) but thankfully, my teammate was an ace as she managed to shoot the ball in about 1/2 to 2/3 of all cups, allowing us to win and secure the overall second place. Cool!

The evening was spent singing karaoke, having fun in the pool, and playing a variety of card games such as pusoy dos (I actually got a seven-high straight flush and a queen-high straight flush that evening!), tong-its,  and slapjack. The highlight for me though was playing bridge. I used to play bridge a lot in college but not a lot since then. In fact, it must have been more than a decade since I last played this card game. It all came back quickly though and me and my partner managed to win all but two of the rounds, sometimes by the skin of our teeth LOL. To be fair, though, one of the guys was playing bridge for the first time that night so my partner and I did have an advantage. Nevertheless, it was still a lot of fun and makes me want to play bridge again.

It was close to 3AM when I hit the sack, although plenty of people were still singing the night away so I guess I must have been quite tired since I managed to sleep through that. :) I woke up at around 9AM to a tasty breakfast of chicken fried rice, luncheon meat and eggs before heading back to Manila. (Thankfully, there was almost no traffic up until Magallanes so the trip was pretty quick.) It was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend and I'm glad I was able to go.

No comments: