Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Jurassic World kind of day

I watched Jurassic World last Sunday with my mom and my nephew. Which means I was a contributor to this movie's record-breaking opening. It is now has the biggest US opening (it's $208.8 million US gross edges out the Avengers' $207.4 million), the biggest gross outside the US (it's $315.3 million gross outside the US overtakes the $314 million of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2), and it has the biggest global opening with $524.1 million. This marks the first time a film grossed more than $500 million internationally in a single weekend. Wow! I guess this shouldn't be all that surprising. When Jurassic Park came out back in 1993, it became the highest grossing film worldwide until it was dethroned by Titanic four years later.

My nephew told me last Friday that he wanted to watch Jurassic World, and he in fact wanted to watch that night but I told him I couldn't take him then. Instead, I could take him on Sunday. My mom had an errand to do that day and I agreed to do driver-duty for her so we decided to bring my nephew along so that we could head to the mall after her errand and watch the movie together. The last film I watched with my mom was Maleficent a year ago so I was happy that I was able to take her to see Jurassic World (now that I think about it, I watched Maleficent with my mom and my nephew as well).

We got to Shangri-La Mall at around 6PM and thankfully, there were still seats for the 7:10 PM showing. That gave us enough time to have a decent meal before our movie. I decided to take bring them to Duck & Buvette for dinner. I had eaten here a couple of times before and I thought that my family would enjoy the food here. And true enough, they did. My mom also really enjoyed the coffee she ordered. As we were finishing our meal, we thought it would be good to eat here again with the rest of our family. (I guess I should plan for that. :))

*** Semi-spoiler alert. Stop reading if you don't want to find out details about the movie. ***

Jurassic World is definitely a lot of fun. There is a whole lot of dinosaur action that will keep audiences entertained, the effects are awesome, and watching it makes you want to visit a theme park afterwards (even one with no live dinosaurs LOL). I also love how it even pokes fun at itself, with lead star Chris Pratt calling out co-star Bryce Dallas Howard's cheap shoes (I think he said cheap shoes), ensuring that people would notice how she managed to run throughout the latter half of the movie in heels that never broke. :) I did find the ending slightly over the top but it was still a thoroughly enjoyable movie. As an article said online, there is a universal fascination in dinosaurs that transcends culture. I am curious to see how much Jurassic World eventually earns. Can it beat the record recently taken by Furious 7 with the fastest time to earn $1 billion globally? With it's massive opening, I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

No comments: