Sunday, April 05, 2015

Rest in Peace, Mama

Last week, my grandmother on my dad's side, whom we affectionately call Mama, passed away at the great age of 91. She thankfully survived a few health scares over the last few years but she suffered a heart attack last weekend and when my cousin called me to tell me about it, the prognosis was grim. Apparently, the doctors were saying Mama could go at any time soon so I decided to pass by the next evening. (Thankfully, visitors were allowed in the ICU even late at night.) There were several of us there when I arrived and several more came after; I guess we were all expecting the worst and wanted to spend some time with Mama while she was still alive. Most of us started out talking to her and telling her that we love her. I also prayed with her. After a while, I wasn't sure what to talk about anymore so I started humming (I'm not good with lyrics so I figured I would just hum the tunes instead). I went on that way for a couple of hours and while I was there, I was noticing the figures on the monitor slowly dropping. I left at close to 2am and I was told when I woke up that Mama had already passed away early in the morning.

We laid her to rest on Good Friday and everyone in our Manila-based extended family and our family friends were there to say goodbye. As luck would have it, it was my cousin's birthday that day. So it was decided during the funeral that we would all head to my uncle's house afterwards to celebrate. After all, while we were all very sad, Mama did have a great life and we wanted to celebrate that as well.

The last time I got to spend time with Mama while she was conscious was a few weeks ago during my uncle and aunt's 40th wedding anniversary. I'm just glad that I got to see her in very joyful circumstances shortly before she passed away.


I'm also happy that in Mama's twilight years, I got to spend some quality time with her. There was her amazing 90th birthday and I will never forget the time I took her and Tito Raul to Aristocrat as a post-Christmas celebration. She had difficulty moving in her final years so it was not easy taking her to different places but whenever she was at a party, she always still had the energy to dance. :) Mama will definitely be missed.

Eternal rest, grant unto Prudencia Pobre, O Lord
and let perpetual light shine upon her.
May she rest in peace. Amen.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Sending my condolences, Christian!

Xtn said...

Thanks Jenn!