Friday, January 03, 2014

Mini Family Reunion

Last Rizal Day, I visited Mama, my grandmother on my father’s side, and Tito Raul who lives with and takes care of her. The last time I saw them both was when Tita Florence and Tito Mario celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary which was several months ago. Strangely enough, our extended family didn’t have a big family Christmas or New Year celebration so I decided to organize my own mini-reunion.

I thought it would be a good idea to buy groceries for them and as it turned out, Tito Raul told me that I probably had mental telepathy because a lot of the stuff I brought were things they liked or were planning to get. I brought fruit cocktail and Tito Raul told me that Mama really loves fruit salad and the salad he made for her a few days before was almost fully consumed. I also brought ingredients for spaghetti with meat sauce and Tito Raul told me that Mama had recently asked him to prepare spaghetti for her. Tita Raul also told me that he recently asked Tita Susan to send him a box of Swiss Miss (she now lives in the US) and I brought a box of Swiss Miss for them. Pretty amazing! I also brought a whole lot of other stuff (Mama also said she loves chocolates so the bag of assorted Hershey’s chocolates I brought was very well received) and that should last them at least a few weeks.

They live near Lourdes Church in Quezon City so we had an early dinner in Aristocrat Banawe which was just a 5-minute drive away. We ordered sotanghon guisado, fish fillet in sweet and sour sauce, laing, and of course chicken barbecue. After all, Aristocrat is the 'home of the best chicken barbecue in town'. :)


It was a good meal that all of us enjoyed. We clearly ordered more than we could eat at the time so Mama and Tito Raul took home the leftovers. Aristocrat Banawe is right next to Formosa bakeshop so after dinner, I got them a couple of bread items and yema cake.

It was such a great experience spending time with Mama and Tito Raul. I need to make sure I get to visit them a lot more often.

No comments: