Sunday, March 08, 2015

Throwback: Ghent

(While going through my old blog posts, I realized that some of the most interesting things I've written about are my travel experiences. There are a few places I got to visit before I launched this blog back in 2005 and I thought it would be good if I write about those trips as well.)

Ghent is a Flemish city located 55 kilometers from Brussels. It was hailed as "Europe's best kept secret" and a must-see destination by Lonely Planet and National Geographic listed it as the third most historic site in the world. I learned about Ghent from friends who highly recommended a visit here and I was able to see it twice: first when I took my friend Omar there and again when I took Duncan and Amy to see it a week later.


This city is known for its three towers: St. Nicholas' Church, the Belfort, and St. Bavo's Cathedral. One of the most popular spots in the city to have your photo taken is on the St. Michael's Bridge where you have a full view of the three towers. I didn't know about this at the time but I didn't need anyone to tell me to have my photo taken there. :)

View of the three towers from the edge of St. Michael's Bridge

St. Nicholas' Church (Sint-Niklaaskerk) is one of the oldest landmarks in the city, dating back to 13th century. This Gothic structure was built using blue-gray stone from the Tournai area.

Photo taken from the back of St. Nicholas' Church

The interior of the church is just as striking as the outside, with its stunning altar flanked by beautiful columns.


The Belfort stands at 91 meters, making it the tallest of Ghent's three towers and also the tallest belfry in Belgium. You can see spectacular panoramic views of the city from the top but unfortunately, I didn't go inside.

The 91-meter tall Belfort

Just a couple of meters shy of the Belfort is St. Bavo's Cathedral (Sint-Baafskathedraal). This church is known for housing the Adoration of the Mystic Lamb. This 12-panel altarpiece was created by Hubert and Jan van Eyck and it is considered to be one of the greatest Belgian masterpieces and one of the most significant works of the Northern Renaissance. (I realize that I didn't take a photo of this piece - I'm guessing people aren't allowed to take photos inside? - but you can view it here).

The 89-meter tall tower of St. Bavo's Cathedral

Apart from the Ghent Altarpiece, one of the most interesting things inside the church is the impressively intricate truth pulpit.

Truth puplit in St. Bavo's Cathedral

The beautiful St. Michael's Bridge crosses over one of the city's many elegant canals. While I didn't experience it myself, boat trips along these canals are a popular and recommended way to explore Ghent.

St. Michael's Bridge

Gravensteen Castle was rebuilt in 1180 by Count Philip of Alsace. It name actually means "castle of the counts" although this structure has served other purposes over the centuries, such as a prison and even a factory.

Gravesteen Castle

Gravensteen houses a museum that contains, among many other historical artifacts, a collection of medieval weapons and armor. Apparently, you can actually run into a knight (or, well, someone in a knight costume) while in the castle but I don't know if this is a new attraction or if I just didn't run into one when I was there.


I also got to visit Het Groot Vleeshuis. This restaurant is located in the Great Butcher's Hall that has been in Ghent since the middle ages and it promotes local East Flemish food and produce. It is notable for the hams that hang from the ceiling.


Beyond the many places of historical significance and interest, what makes Ghent worth visiting is its charm. Just walking around the cobblestone streets of the city, with its abundance of great architecture, is a satisfying experience all by itself. A plethora of quaint and elegant cafes and dining options make it very comfortable to spend time here.


I've read that Ghent is the city where most Belgians would like to travel to within their country. After having a chance to see it for myself, I can understand why.

Next up: Bruges.

No comments: