Sunday, November 09, 2014

Reunion over Ramen

My friends Suzanne and Nenen were in the Philippines and I met up with them and with our other friends Joh and Raffa earlier in the week. They asked for restaurant suggestions and I thought it would be a good opportunity to try a new place. Eventually, we all agreed to try Wrong Ramen in Burgos Circle. The menu explains why this place is named the way it is and apparently, it's because the ramen here is "Filipinized" and not authentic Japanese.

I was tempted to try one of the spicier ramen options but I had a bit of a sore throat that night so I ended up just sticking to the much safer Tonkotsu Ramen. It was good although it is a bit expensive. I really enjoyed the appetizers we got. The Chashu Rice Rolls were a bite-sized burst of flavor and the Chicken Akuma was pretty spicy and very tasty. Since I didn't get to celebrate my birthday with this set of friends due to my incredibly hectic workload, I decided this would also be my belated birthday blowout.

We had a lot of catching up to do since it had been more than a year since we last saw Suzanne (and even longer since we saw Nenen because she didn't visit Manila last year). Obviously, the couple of hours over dinner was not enough so we went to UCC Park Café to have some coffee and dessert. I decided to get Sumiyaki Coffee and partner it with the Chocolate Xanadu, still one of my favorite desserts. (Maybe I should write about that some time...)

The evening was spent sharing what's going on in our lives, talking about plans we have for the future, and looking back through the years that we've all known each other. We had to say our goodbyes at around half past eleven since it was a weeknight and people still had to work the next day. Nenen and Suzanne also gave me a bag of peanut butter M&Ms as pasalubong. I haven't tried it yet but given how big a fan I am of Reese's peanut butter cups, I am definitely looking forward to trying these M&Ms. I am also looking forward to seeing Suzanne and Nenen again when they visit Manila next year.

No comments: