Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Not my year

Kinda self-centered to make this about me seeing that this is really about the athletes and sports teams I support LOL. But it kinda sucks for me as a sports fan when the people or teams I'm rooting for keep losing. Often after being in such a great position to win.

Take Rafael Nadal for instance. He lost the Australian Open final after being largely tipped to win his 14th major. What followed after that was a series of unfortunate losses, including once against David Ferrer, a player he used to beat routinely. In the Rome final, he won the first set against Novak Djokovic before I got home and turned the TV on. Of course Nadal then had to lose the match once I tuned in. Ugh. The French Open just kicked off last Sunday and unlike past years, I'm not so confident what the result is going to be.

It's not just in tennis either. Liverpool were, for the first time, in an immensely good position to win the English Premier League for the first time in decades. With only three matches left in the season, they were ahead of Manchester City by 3 points. Then they lost to Chelsea and drew against Crystal Palace. Meanwhile, Mancity swept their remaining matches. In the end, Liverpool ended up having to settle for second place. Damn! So close and yet so far!

But that's probably not the worst of it. I wrote about my disappointment a few months back when the DLSU Lady Spikers lost in the UAAP volleyball tournament to Ateneo. That they actually had championship point before losing the match and then eventually the championship made the loss even worse. Now what could be worse than losing after you've had championship point? Having it happen again! In the final of the Philippine National Games against the Air Force, DLSU had championship point again in the fourth set. Air Force saved it, won the set, then cruised to an easy win in the decider.

I almost don't want to watch any games of my team or player now for fear of me jinxing them. The strange thing is that I'm completely NOT superstitious except when it comes to sports LOL. Talk about being illogical. Hopefully things can start changing in the remainder of the year for my favorite athletes.

No comments: