Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Smartphone Generation

Call it a generation gap but there are things about current smartphone use that I find odd, if not impolite. I remember having dinner with friends recently when I noticed a lot of them were intently on their smartphones - and not just to reply to a text - and I had to call them out on it. What's the point of all of us having dinner together when everyone just starts spending more time on their gadgets than engaging in conversation? (We could all just call it a night if people realize they need to do other stuff.)

I saw this video recently and I can definitely relate to the lead character:


video uploaded in youtube by charstarleneTV

My recent dinner experience resembles 0:26 to 0:43 of this video. And while I have taken my fair share of photos in concerts and maybe the occasional video clip, I don't spend the entire time with my camera up taking videos. I guess it works for some people but personally (1) I can't really enjoy the concert as much when I'm half-focused on my phone or camera and (2) the video and sound quality almost always sucks anyway and it never captures just how great the artist's live performance was. But well I guess that works for some people.

No comments: