Monday, June 03, 2013

Allison Holker and Derek Hough back on DWTS

A while back, Derek Hough and Allison Holker wowed the audience and all their viewers with that incredible dance number that fused together elements of Argentine Tango, Flamenco and Paso Doble. I wanted to watch their performance again so I typed in their names on youtube and lo and behold, there was another video that came up in the results. Naturally, I had to see it and I guess it's not surprising that I was just absolutely blown away. The fact that it also includes a few other amazing dancers - Melanie Moore, Kathryn Mccormick, and Jessica Lee Keller - made the performance even more compelling. Check it out here:


video uploaded in youtube by LunaleeTreasureBox

I don't know who choreographed this - I'm guessing it was Derek - but it is just sublime. It's remarkable how versatile these dancers are. I mean, Derek is known as a ballroom dancer and here he is being extremely comfortable doing contemporary. The choreography, the music, the synchronization of the lights, the waterworks, and of course the otherworldly skills of all these dancers just combined to produce a spectacular show.

I have to say that I am really happy that "So you think you can dance" switched to an all-Star format and they invited Allison to be one of the all-stars (she's been one of only a few people who has been an official all-star since then). After her shocking exit during top 8 week in the 2nd season, I thought she would float into obscurity. And for a while, it seemed like she did. However, her return to the SYTYCD stage reignited her career as she put in one memorable performance after another, often stealing the spotlight from her partner and gaining considerable praise from the judges who were actually not supposed to talk about the all-stars LOL. Since then, she has appeared a few times on "Dancing with the Stars" and is now engaged to Twitch who placed second back in season 4 of SYTYCD. Congratulations, Allison and Twitch!

No comments: