Sunday, September 04, 2011

Steph and Tim get married

My good friends Tim and Steph got married and it was a really good wedding on a lot of levels. Obviously, it's great to be part of a wonderful celebration of love and commitment, especially when the union is between two good friends. Second, the evening served as a reunion of folks from my previous company. I saw a lot of people whom I haven't seen in ages like Mabel, Romy, Eugene, Patrick and Quennie. Naturally, a lot of our circle of friends were there, including folks who flew in from the US like Suzanne and Nenen and those who flew in from Singapore like Hannah and Alvin.

It was also a unique wedding for me in that for the first time, I choreographed a wedding dance. No singing for me this dance. :) A few months before the wedding, Tim and Steph emailed me saying that they wanted their reception to open with a dance number that would include themselves and their entourage. It would take the place of the traditional entrance and introduction of the secondary sponsors leading up to the grand entrance of the couple. Tim told me that he had always wanted to do something like this for his wedding so he was a bit upset that Glee featured such a dance number during the wedding of Finn's mom and Kurt's dad which led to several couples doing the same thing in their wedding receptions.

Tim said that they wanted to use the same song - 'Marry you' by Bruno Mars - but he wanted me to create different steps and not copy the ones on Glee. Knowing that there would not be a lot of time to practice, I figured I would come up with fun steps that would be very easy for the entourage and Steph and Tim to learn. We had a couple of practices before the event and also practiced in the reception venue a couple of hours before the program started. In the end, it turned out to be a fun number, although I have to say the party poppers didn't pop at the right time and they sort of fizzled. Nevertheless, it was still pretty cool and I'm happy that I was able to do this for Steph and Tim.

Aside from the great food, for which I had more than one serving since the others in my table couldn't eat all that they were served, I also ended up leaving with a prize. I got a mini-box of Godiva chocolates as well as a USB drive for correctly answering when Tim's birthday was.

A lot of food, laughs, catching up, and good fun. This was certainly a great wedding and I am happy I was a part of it.

No comments: