Saturday, May 31, 2008

Still Oz audition in Elbow Room last April 5

Well, it's taken me nearly 2 months to write about this. My band Still Oz had an audition in Elbow Room over in Metrowalk last April 5. We actually passed and were asked to perform on May 9 and on May 23, but both Ipe and Oz were unavailable on May 9 so we ended up playing only on May 23.

Anyways, we used to record our performances on tape (where those cassettes are, I no longer have any idea) and it was always good to review our performances 'coz we could figure out what we were doing right and what we could do better. Now late in 2006 I bought a Sony W100, which is a point and shoot camera that has video-taking capabilities. So I figured that I could use this, along with my tripod, to shoot videos of our performances. That way, it would be easier to see the ways in which we can improve. My memory stick is 2Gb so I can actually take about 2 hours worth of decent-quality video with it, which meant that I managed to get our entire audition on video.

We were a bit rusty overall but we did manage to pull off a couple of decent songs. Here is a vid of what I think was our best performance of the night - our cover of U2's "All I want is you":



And here's one of our cover of Live's "Lightning crashes", which I also think was pretty decent (if you can get past the fact that I was a quarter-step faster than the drumbeat in some parts of the 2nd and 3rd chorus):



I only managed to complete the video upload today. Stupidly, I didn't reduce the size of the videos - they are all in the 70 to 95 Mb in size and it takes me about 2 hours to upload a vid of that size to youtube! Now I had already uploaded a few of my full-sized videos early on and since I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive, I decided to stick with uploading the rest of my full-sized videos.

Click here for our entire playlist on youtube. You may want to skip "Bright Lights" (4th song) as we performed that one quite badly LOL.

I'll be posting about our May 23 gig soon.

No comments: