Monday, October 17, 2016

Movie-watching 2016 part 4

It's been a few months since I got to watch a film in a movie theater, mainly because I haven't had the time and also because the movies that were showing whenever I would have time weren't all that interesting to me. I decided to take a couple of days off of work recently, just to catch up on rest. This gave me a perfect opportunity to go to the cinema twice.

Kubo and the Two Strings


This stop motion animated film comes from Laika, the same studio that gave us Boxtrolls and ParaNorman. I enjoyed both of those movies, even if they were on the darker side (or maybe precisely because they aren't your normal animated film) so I thought Kubo and the Two Strings might be a good movie too. Upon checking Rotten Tomatoes, I saw that it had a 97% critics rating and an 87% audience score, making me want to see it even more. I took both of my nephews to watch this film and I felt that it lived up to the hype. The animation was done tremendously well, the characters were well-written and captivating, and the fight scenes and action sequences were riveting and exciting. More than that, its themes of love, loss and loyalty and the imperfections and the beauty of humanity make it a poignant and powerful film. It talks about the importance of remembering the past, making it a very appropriate movie heading into All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day. I definitely recommend this movie. If not for the storytelling, then at least for the stunning visuals. It's interesting how my two favorite films from this year are both animated - this and Zootopia.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children


I didn't really know about Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children until I saw a trailer. In fact, it wasn't even the trailer that piqued my interest, it was the title. I mean, what exactly was so peculiar about these children? That alone made me want to watch. So I did. I found it to be decently entertaining although I thought that the start was a bit too slow, maybe because I wanted to be see the children sooner. When they were finally introduced, and their peculiarities started to be revealed slowly, the pacing just got much better and the movie became a lot more interesting and entertaining. This film is apparently based on the book of the same name, but as I checked its plot, I see that the movie has veered quite far away from the novel. If you are a fan of the book, be ready to see something a bit (or even a lot) from what you've read.

No comments: