Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Celebrations and Catching Up

This last month has definitely been a full and rich one, with many celebrations and get-togethers. For my mom's birthday, we had dinner in Relish in Tomas Morato. My family and I have always enjoyed the food but we hadn't been to Relish in a while so I thought it would be a good place to have my mom's celebration dinner. I also brought home a Strawberry Pavlova from The Bandana Baker because I wanted to try something different and not easy to purchase to make the celebration just a bit more special. It was my first time to try this dessert and it was very good. My mom really loved it. I may just get order this again for another occasion.

Strawberry Pavlova from The Bandana Baker

The Bandana Baker
https://www.facebook.com/The-Bandana-Baker-60508551947/

For orders, call or text 0916-780-6521
Email: thebandanabaker@yahoo.com.ph
Located in Makati
Check out how to place orders here: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150203405320346


It took a while for me to figure out what I could get my mom as a birthday present. The idea came when I saw an advertisement online indicating a weekend sale of NESCAFE Dolce Gusto Oblo machines in Robinson's Magnolia. I didn't have time to go there but when I went to S&R shortly after that, I saw that the Oblo machines were still on sale. As I learned more about it, I found out that this machine requires the user to decide how much water to add which I felt to be too much of a hassle. I decided to get the Mini Me which is a lot more expensive but which allows you to set the recommended amount of water for maximum coffee enjoyment. (I figured that if people had to figure out how much water was necessary, they might not like the coffee as much and they might not use it.) So far, this gift has proven to be a fantastic idea because within 24 hours of me setting it up at home, my mom and my nephews had all enjoyed a cup and a whole box of capsules was consumed within a week. Cool!

NESCAFE Dolce Gusto Mini-Me

For my nephew's birthday, we went to SM MOA to get him new sneakers. It was the first time we went there on a Sunday and wow, it was overflowing with people! We took a snack and coffee break in UCC Vienna Cafe before my nephew finally decided on the pair he wanted. Given how crowded SM MOA was, I suggested to my family that we just have dinner in BGC. We dined in Frank and Dean and we all enjoyed the food we ordered. I especially loved their Sour Cream pancakes (they were like a light and fluffy mix between pancakes and bibingka and I wouldn't mind having them again).

We weren't able to properly celebrate my brother's birthday last year because his work schedule makes it challenging for all of us to find a common time. Thankfully, this year, we were able to have dinner at Conti's. I also ended up getting Nike Flex shoes for myself that night. I had checked them out on a previous trip to Planet Sports but I decided to think about it carefully first before getting them. Luckily, the pair that I actually wanted were on sale on that return trip. The guy at the shop told me that those shoes were on sale for only 5 days. It was already the 4th day of the sale when I got them - at 20% off! - so I was really pleased with my luck and my timing.

I also joined many of my friends over the last few weeks for a variety of occasions. My friend G went to the US for further studies so he treated us all to dinner and drinks at The Stockpile in Sapphire Bloc in Ortigas. Joh celebrated her birthday at The Grind in BGC. Jim celebrated his birthday at Reserve in Burgos Circle. I was unable to join Mark's birthday celebration dinner but I caught up with him and the rest of the gang at Coffee Bean in Rockwell Business Center in Ortigas. I also got to catch up over coffee with my friend and long-time colleague Auds who had just resigned from work. Now that I am writing about this, I realize that this last month has really been a full one, and I'm just thankful that I got to spend a lot of quality time with the people in my life.

No comments: