Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Camera replacement?

I think I know what I'll be getting my mom as a gift this Christmas: a new camera.

During my cousin's debut last weekend, my mom was trying to take a photo of me and some other relatives during the 18 roses presentation when she accidentally dropped her camera. It must have been a bad drop because afterwards, the lens wouldn't retract and the camera wouldn't turn on properly anymore. Thankfully there was no damage to the SD card so all the photos she had on there were safe. While I do intend to have the broken camera looked at first, I believe that the cost of repairing the lens will be close to the price of a brand new camera since the lens system is usually the most expensive part (naturally).

If it does turn out that getting a replacement is the most sensible thing to do, I will need to find someone who has a trip to the US or Singapore since electronics are much cheaper there. I may end up getting the exact same model - the Canon PowerShot SX260 - since it still rates very highly even compared to newer models. Or maybe I can get a waterproof camera instead; that way, my family will have something to use at the beach or pool or any environment where we expect to get wet. Hmm, the more I think about it, the better this option sounds. Ah well, we'll see.

No comments: