Thursday, May 16, 2013

Weight loss

I recently experienced pretty bad stomach problems. I had to see the doctor multiple times and have so many tests and procedures done for a period of about 5-6 weeks. By my last count, I had to go to the hospital 14 times. Crazy! While there seemed to be something terribly wrong with me at the start, all the tests and consultations resulted in a more or less clean bill of health.

However, things were pretty miserable for about 1 1/2 months. My stomach problems kept me pretty sick for the first two weeks and my doctor couldn't really figure out what was wrong with me so he told me to stay on a pretty strict diet for those 4-6 weeks. My diet: no fatty, oily, or fried food, no dairy (so no milk, cheese, cream, butter), no foods high in sugar (so no dessert or even fruits and juice), no caffeine or alcohol, and when eating out, no raw vegetables (since there is no way to ensure that the vegetables were washed well or properly). Gah! What options did this diet leave me? Not a lot. Needless to say, in about 4 weeks, I lost something like 20 pounds. I shocked myself and most other people when I didn't drink coffee or Coke Zero for about 3-4 weeks. Wow! This proved I'm not addicted to either drink. :) By the end of that period, I was pretty tired of eating bananas and Skyflakes and drinking Gatorade.

Anyway, so far, I've kept the excess weight off. A lot of my clothes that I haven't been able to wear in the last 3-4 years can fit again so my wardrobe expanded without me buying anything new. :) Of course, since my stomach isn't acting up anymore, I'm starting to eat a lot more. I need to start exercising again if I want to keep the weight off. And I do. :)

No comments: