Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Bourne Legacy

I am really pleased that I have been able to go to the movie theater quite a few times this year. The latest flick I watched was "The Bourne Legacy". As this was filmed partially in the Philippines, I wanted to make sure I saw it. :)

I have to say that I can't view the movie objectively and say whether it was good or not. As a Filipino, I couldn't help but be entertained by the fact that the scenes were shot here. That car chase through Manila traffic with vehicles being smashed and jeepneys being whipped around was awesome to watch! I loved that they kept the traffic in the scenes and didn't clear the road, it made it more authentic. :) (Not that something like that would ever happen here hehehe.)

I've heard some Pinoys complained about the fact that "The Bourne Legacy" painted the Philippines in a bad light as a lot of scenes were shot in slum areas. But hey, movies don't always do their filming in the nicest locations. Quite a few scenes from the Incredible Hulk were shot in the slum areas of Brazil. And how can anyone forget Slumdog Millionaire? Even crime shows in the US feature lots of scenes in very dodgy locations.

I don't normally stick around to see the credits roll (except when there's a final bonus scene slotted in during or towards the end) but I made an exception for this film because I wanted to see the names of John Arcilla and Lou Veloso. I noticed that Joel Torre was also credited for being the samaritan who helps the woman with the oranges but I didn't even see him. I need to get the DVD when it comes out. :) I also wonder if the scenes with Filipino dialogues were sub-titled in other countries because they weren't subtitled here.

Anyways, it was a really cool experience watching "The Bourne Legacy". I think a lot of people who got stuck in bad traffic during filming in Manila won't agree with me but I think it would be cool if more Hollywood blockbusters get shot in different locations in the Philippines.

1 comment:

- ijulia - said...

So there's a scene with Manila background? Wow! I'm going to see Bourne Legacy next week..