Saturday, August 18, 2012

Saltimbanco comes to Manila!

I'm really happy that Saltimbanco came to the Philippines. I was hoping after the massive success of Varekai last year that more Cirque du Soleil shows would make their way to our part of the world. When I saw the ads on TV a couple of months ago, I decided to buy tickets immediately.


Apparently, Saltimbanco is the oldest major touring show of Cirque du Soleil. It has been running since 1992 so it's actually their 20th anniversary (although some changes have been made to the original version since then). Pretty cool that we get to see them on their milestone year. :) I wanted more of my family to see a Cirque du Soleil show live so this time around, I got tickets for my mom, my brother, and my two nephews as well. Needless to say, everyone was amazed, impressed, and fully entertained.

Saltimbanco has a wide array of acts, including a heart-stopping solo trapeze (this used to be a duo trapeze in the original format), fantastic juggling, jawdropping balancing on canes that involves some unbelievable flexibility, and a spectacular sequence with a Russian swing. It also features a very unique "boleadoras" act that you can check out here (although what you will see in the link is the original version that has since been modified). The sequences with Jesko the clown are immensely funny and entertaining to both kids and adults, and they provide much-needed comic relief after watching stunts that leave you holding your breath for prolonged periods of time. :) The Chinese poles act early in the show is visually stunning and showcases daredevil mentality and astonishing muscle power. Check out the guy going up and down the pole using just his arms from 0:42 to 0:59. He makes it look so effortless!


video uploaded in youtube by Gerardo1999

I still can't fathom how these performers do it. Not only do their stunts require superhuman strength, stamina, and skill, but they also require an incredibly high degree of fearlessness and trust in what you and your co-performers can do. One of the most memorable acts in the show for me is the "hand-to-hand". I don't know what kind of training these guys do but they are impossibly strong! Most sensational portion is 5:27 to 6:48 (but the whole clip deserves to be watched! Even the comic relief after. :))


video uploaded in youtube by mcirque

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that another Cirque du Soleil show will come to Manila next year.

No comments: