Monday, August 23, 2010

Family time

Sunday is family day for me, as it is for most people. One of my relatives, Auntie Toots, was in Manila for a week so we had an extended family dinner in Uncle Albert's house (funny I call them Auntie and Uncle since they are both actually in the same generation as my grandparents. So I fetched my grandparents, my mom, and my nephews and we drive to Makati where Uncle Albert and Auntie Isabel live. Tita Jill and Tito Allen were also there along with their two kids. Extra tables were set up in the living room area to accommodate us all and as soon as we arrived, dinner was served.

Naturally, our dinner consisted mainly of Filipino food for the benefit of Auntie Toots and Uncle Amor who don't get to eat local cuisine very often. We had pansit malabon, Ilonggo-style lumpiang ubod, barbecue, and steamed crabs, among other things. My nephew CJ especially enjoyed the dinner since he loves crabs - he ended up having three whole ones! For dessert, we had mango cake and ice cream.

After dinner, my second cousins played some music to provide some post-meal entertainment. Nicolas played the violin while Mikaela played the piano. My grandfather and Uncle Albert then took over and played the piano and violin, respectively. It was around 930pm when we decided to call it a night since my nephews still had school the next day. Auntie Toots and Uncle Amor were staying in their friend's house and since it was along the way, we dropped them off.

It was a tiring night for sure as I had to drive all over the metro (twice!) but I really wouldn't have it any other way as it is such a joy to be able to take my family out every weekend.

No comments: