Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Pixar's Coco

I missed Coco during its theatrical run but I heard and read such positive feedback about it that when it was shown on Fox Movies, I just had to watch it.  Now that I've seen it, I have to say it definitely lived up to the hype, if not exceeded it.


When publicity for Coco started coming out, I wasn't too keen on watching it because I felt it was too similar to the animated film The Book of Life that came out in 2014. Both were set in Mexico on the Day of the Dead and the lead characters in both films had guitars and were passionate about music. Given that The Book of Life was released 3 years before Coco, I felt that Pixar should've taken a different direction thematically.

However, the countless glowing reviews from just about everyone made me want to see it. Unfortunately, I missed its theatrical run in Manila. Thankfully, it was featured on Fox Movies. I now strongly agree with the general concensus because I think Coco is one of the best animated films I've seen so far.

The story is great and I love the twist that greatly changes the complexion and the urgency of the plot. Gotta say, I didn't see that one coming. Furthermore, the world of the dead in this film is beautifully created. The writing is excellent and compelling, enabling the audience to go through the same emotional journey that the characters are on. I was excited when Imelda finally started to sing again, I felt frantic when Miguel dropped Hector's picture, and I felt even more frantic and heartbroken when Miguel was trying to get his great grandmother Coco to remember her father.

The voice acting in this movie is also topnotch. While the adults were all remarkable, it was the voice actor of Miguel, Anthony Gonzalez (who was about 11 years old when he did his voice work for Coco), who was most outstanding. Considering he is so young, he delivered such an emotive, nuanced performance that helped carry the film. I'm not the only one who thinks so too, since Anthony won Best Voice Acting in an Animated Feature Production at the Annie Awards. As if that wasn't enough, he sings really well too! And while we're on the subject, the music in Coco is great. While Remember Me won best song at the Oscars, I actually preferred Un Poco Loco and Proud Corazon (the song Miguel sings at the end) a lot more.

Coco is such a tremendously beautiful film. I think this may just make its way to my top ten animated films of all time.

No comments: