Friday, June 29, 2018

National Bookstore Project Aral

Earlier this month, I swung by National Bookstore to buy a couple of supplies. As I was paying for my purchases, the cashier asked me if I wanted to make a Project Aral donation.


The donation is in the form of a care package. There are 2 options: the first kit includes two notebooks, two pencils, a sharpener, and an eraser and costs P30 while the second kit contains those same items plus a pair of slippers for P60. I decided to get the second kit since I felt that many underprivileged kids walk to school barefoot and a pair of slippers seemed like a good idea.


This project seems to be all-year round although the kits are probably only displayed in National Bookstore branches shortly before a new school year starts. You can still make a donation through the NBS website: https://www.nationalbookstore.com/project-aral-2018. I'm not sure how many donations have been made but I did see a tweet from NBS that "over 28 schools and 6,000 students in Tawi-tawi" received Project Aral kits. That's amazing.



I realized when I left that maybe I should have made a bigger donation but another opportunity presented itself shortly after that. My friend Zaza volunteered for a project that was trying to raise funds to buy books and school supplies for schools of indigenous peoples in the Philippines. I decided to make a donation through her and when she shared everything that their team was able to buy and donate to the schools and the students, I was amazed at how much they were able to raise and how many people they were able to help.

These recent donations have made me want to be more active in volunteer work again. There are still so many people in the country and in the world who need help and so many causes that need more support.

No comments: