Thursday, June 28, 2018

Movie watching in June

Incredibles 2


The Incredibles is one of my favorite animated films so when this sequel was announced, on the one hand I was excited to see what would happen but on the other hand I also had a bit of trepidation that this second outing wouldn't live up to the greatness of the first. Thankfully, it did. In fact, I find it to be a perfect sequel in that its story integrates seamlessly and effortlessly with the first. In fact, I feel that if you watch both movies one after the other, it would be like you're watching just one film. The script and the characters are all very well-written. Jack-Jack proves to be a bit of a star here but everyone has their moments, including the very cool Edna Mode. I also loved the introduction of many new heroes and the fight scenes and action sequences are very well-choreographed and executed. Considering that I watched so many good movies already this year, this might just be close to, if not at, the top of my list of favorite films I've seen in 2018.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom


I am, and will always be, a sucker for dinosaur films so I made sure to see Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom even if it wasn't getting very good reviews. The movie takes the moral question of the creation of life to another level with the impending destruction of Isla Nublar and the debates as to whether the dinosaurs should be saved or left to perish. Aside from that, the story is pretty simple: sell dinosaurs for indecent amounts of money and create even more monstrous, genetically-engineered ones. For the most part, I really enjoyed the movie, although I will say that the greater moral dilemma about genetic engineering that is tackled towards the end of the movie was, for me, a bit out of place (I mean, it's a very good topic for discourse, except I wasn't expecting it in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom).

No comments: