Friday, June 22, 2018

Eden Cheese: Drayber

I remembered this video because it was Father's Day last Sunday. I saw it a while back and I was moved by it for many reasons. It's a commercial for Eden Cheese entitled "Drayber" and I think it was released last year.


video uploaded in youtube by Eden Cheese PH

What I liked about this ad was how it pays homage to single mothers who also take on the role of father to their children. But beyond that, I was tremendously moved by its vivid imagery of how life is for many people who are not born into privilege. The mother has taken on many jobs, all of which require a lot of physical, mental, and emotional energy, just to make ends meet. She then comes home to her children who prepare a special meal for her: giniling that is made even more special by cubes of Eden cheese added to it. It was that scene that actually hit me. To many people, giniling is a regular meal that they can easily have on any given day. And here, this family prepares giniling as a celebration dinner. It just makes you realize that many things we take for granted are things that are very special and of great value to many others.

I'm not sure how this family came to become a single-mother family. If you look at 0:09 of the video, you will see a picture that seems to include the father so I don't know if he passed away, left them, or if his absence is due to some other reason. In any case, I found it tremendously heartwarming to see the great love this family had for each other. I stupidly ended up looking through the comments section and saw so much vitriol spewed against this ad - from homophobic remarks to anger that it wasn't a real father who was being celebrated in this video. In my opinion, those people seemed to have missed the point of what I thought was a very well-made commercial. Kudos to Eden Cheese and the advertising team for creating and releasing this commercial.

No comments: