Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Solo: A Star Wars Story

My streak of watching Star Wars films on opening night or during advanced screening continues as I got to see Solo: A Star Wars Story on opening night. This streak goes all the way back to 2002 when Attack of the Clones came out. In fact, from Attack of the Clones all the way to Rogue One, I always got to see the midnight advanced screening. Too bad they stopped this practice starting with The Last Jedi. Of all the Star Wars films that have come out, Solo was probably the one I was least excited to see. With all the main films, I wanted to see how the story would develop. And with Rogue One, I was curious to see how the rebellion would manage to get the blueprints of the first Death Star. However, this latest movie was a backstory of Han Solo. That said, it is a Star Wars film and any Star Wars film will always excite me enough to want to watch it as soon as I possibly can. :)


Spoiler alert: please stop reading if you don't want to know anything about the movie.

So what did I think of the film? I am quite happy that this was a relatively light and mainly feel-good film. The last two - Rogue One and The Last Jedi - were both quite heavy, with some deaths and near-deaths of some critical characters in the Star Wars saga. While Solo starts off with a bit of a tragedy, the general tone of the film was quite upbeat.

Friends of mine who watch the Clone Wars animated series said that fans of that show will appreciate Solo a lot more due to the many Clone Wars references. I personally don't watch the Clone Wars (maybe I should) but I still found the film to be quite enjoyable. I liked seeing how Han and Chewbacca became friends. I also loved that train action sequence, although the early departure of Thandy Newton's character Val was a bit unfortunate. It was exciting to see Darth Maul again but  I had to think about the implication of his appearance. When exactly was he supposed to have died? It was when Anakin was a kid so Han wouldn't have been born yet so if this was decades after he was cut in half, how did he survive? I also like how they showed Han winning the Millennium Falcon in a game of cards and how his relationship with Lando was established. I also love how the lead pirate was a child. Seeing her face when she took off her headgear was quite surprising. I loved that Warwick Davis was there! Warwick played the ewok Wicket in Return of the Jedi. Another cool thing about the movie is how it shows Han not being officially aligned with the rebellion yet somehow still helping them, which is the same thing that happened in A New Hope. I also though that Alden Ehrenreich did quite well, considering that he had to play an iconic character who was brought to life by the one-of-a-kind Harrison Ford. The one down side for me is how C-3PO and R2-D2 didn't seem to be in this film. (Either that or I just missed them.) If they weren't, then this is the first Star Wars feature film that didn't have the 2 droids in it.

All in all, Solo: A Star Wars Story is a lot of fun to watch and cool addition to the Star Wars franchise.

No comments: