Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Aircon Woes Again

Well this sucks. Less than a year after I had problems with my previous aircon, I started having issues with my new one. A few days ago, I noticed that there was water dripping from the dropped ceiling behind my aircon. It was a very light and intermittent drip so I thought I could wait a few days until the next Saturday for it to be looked at. The problem was that one night, right before I was about to sleep. the dripping got significantly heavier, almost like water from a faucet. It dripped for just a few seconds but enough water came out to fill a mug. I had our on-shift engineer inspect my aircon and ceiling and he said that there is most likely a leak in the drain causing water to collect inside my ceiling. I got really worried that my ceiling would collapse, and my aircon along with it.

I decided I couldn't wait a few more days for my scheduled repair. I asked our engineering department to help me influence the aircon repair service to find time to repair my unit. I also called them myself. After a few calls and some begging on my part, they were able to send a couple of people to check the problem. The problem is that the only way to find out what was going on was to cut big holes in the ceiling. They confirmed that my aircon was not properly attached to the drain, resulting in a leak. Thankfully, they were able to do the repair later that afternoon.

The sucky thing about this is that I lost a day of work, had to pay for the aircon repair service, and I now have to pay for the restoration of my ceiling. I guess I will just try to focus on the positive and that it could have been a lot worse; at least my ceiling didn't collapse. And I got to help people earn a living.

No comments: