Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Movie weekend

After kicking off the month by watching three movies in five days, I now end the month watching two movies in two days. Cool.

Paki


I haven't really had a chance to watch Filipino indie movies so when my friend suggested that we go watch Paki which was written and directed by her nephew Giancarlo Abraham, I decided to find the time to see it. This movie had a very, very limited release as part of the Cinema One Originals festival but I managed to find a schedule that worked for me. The cast was led by Dexter Doria whose character Alejandra is the center of the story that features complex family dynamics and fragile relationships. This movie was interesting but what stood out to me the most was the performance of the cast. Dexter Doria and Noel Trinidad, who portrayed her husband, were especially good, but the rest of the supporting cast put in solid deliveries too. A lot of scenes were devoted to shots of Alejandra in her moments of contemplation and retrospection - Dexter pulled these scenes off really well - and I felt it was a good way to show how someone can be surrounded by so many people yet still almost have a sense of loneliness. I do think that the pacing was a bit on the slow side and that a couple of the confrontation scenes were a tad rushed or underdeveloped but it was a good movie overall. I'm happy I was able to see it and support a local indie film. I should really find more time to see other local indie films.

Justice League


I have been hearing negative reviews about this latest DC movie but I still had to see it. Now that I've seen it, I have to say I actually enjoyed it. SPOILER ALERT: Please stop reading if you don't want to know more about this movie. I guess the challenge that DC faces is that it gets automatically compared to Marvel, which did a fantastic job in slowly introducing each of its heroes in individual movies before putting them all together in the Avengers movies. DC hasn't really done that for all its characters in Justice League, with the Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg all being introduced at the same time. I didn't really mind that. There's enough of a backstory for Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman (I won't reveal what kind of appearance Superman makes so you will have to see it for yourself). I gotta say though that as cool as Cyborg is, I'm still not quite sure exactly what his abilities are. It will be interesting to see more of him in the future. Also, Wonder Woman's durability is absolutely impressive. She may not be as strong as Superman but boy, can she take a hit and get back up afterwards. I also really liked the final post-credits scene. While a lot of people may not be as interested in the upcoming DC films, I think I will continue to watch. :)

No comments: