Sunday, October 16, 2016

Sunday splurge

It all started with me booking a room in Linden Suites over the weekend for game night. I had two different sets of friends who really enjoyed playing board games so I thought it would be a good idea to bring everyone together (it was). Since I was already in the Ortigas area that weekend, I decided to go to Shangri-La Mall on Sunday after I check out of the hotel to do some things at the mall that were a bit long overdue. First, I got my grandmother the Clinique All About Eyes Concealer. She asked me a few months ago if I could get her one since the one she had was almost fully consumed. I figured Rustan's Department Store would have it and they did. When I handed it to my grandmother later that day, she was very pleased.

My mom also texted me on Saturday afternoon to see if I could find a magazine that seemed to be out of stock in most places. I headed over to National Bookstore and luckily, there was still one copy of that magazine left. Cool!

I also decided to get new batteries for my watches. Yes, watches. Apparently, a few of my watches had run out of batteries over the last several months. I visited the watch repair shop at the basement of Rustan's where I had batteries replaced before. Given that I was replacing many batteries (some of my watches required three!), I ended up paying quite a sum of money for it. Ah well, at least I get to use all of my watches again, and I do miss using them.

Since I was already at the mall, I also decided to pass by Havaianas in the department store since I saw that the dark blue flip flops that I had before were available again. I broke the pair I had a long time ago and I hadn't seen that particular style until recently. At first, I was hesitant to get them because I didn't really need new flip flops. Then, I realized that ones that I use whenever I go to the beach or on an out-of-town trip were a bit too small (maybe it was because I bought the wrong size or the pair I had shrunk slightly) so in the end, I got myself a new pair of Havaianas.

Later that night, I took my nephews to Robinson's Galleria to watch Kubo and the Two Strings (I will also write more about this movie later). I figured they would want to watch it because one of them is a big fan of Japan culture and the other likes going to the movie theater. Kubo and the Two Strings was only showing in four Robinson's mall cinemas and Galleria had the most convenient screening time for us. We arrived at the mall about 1 1/2 hours before our movie would start so we decided to go around. After a quick trip to Mercury Drugstore so they could both buy some personal hygiene products, I took them to Daiso because I wanted to see if they had those coffee drippers used for pour over coffee for individual cups. They did, and I got one. (Check out this video to see how it works.) Since we were there, my nephews checked out a few things as as well and they decided to get some snacks. One of them got nori while the other one got nori chips. As if that wasn't enough Japanese culture for one night, we also had dinner at Rai Rai Ken. By the time we were done eating, it was almost time for our movie. Kubo and the Two Strings was very good, I highly recommend it.

Apart from Sunday being a bit of a splurge, it was also quite long and it involved a whole lot of driving. I was lucky though because the typhoon (that didn't really impact Metro Manila that much) must have kept most people at home so the roads were relatively clear and there was barely any traffic.

No comments: