Sunday, January 10, 2016

Super Saturday

What a full and incredible yesterday was. It started out with brunch with my friends Anna and Lala while Anna was still in town. Since I had plans in Jupiter Street for lunch, I asked if we could meet somewhere near there so we ended up enjoying food at Bizu in One Rockwell. I've had breakfast/brunch there before but Lala and Anna hadn't. They seemed to enjoy their food (and of course the great thing about Bizu is that if you have breakfast before 11am, you get a cup of coffee for free). Usually, I order their Eggs Benedict but I decided to try something different. I instead got their Apple Cinnamon French Toast. It was okay but if I do visit Bizu again, I may try the pancakes instead.


After brunch, I headed over to Jupiter to the attend the Christening of my 2nd cousin Miguel. Uncle Albert (he's actually my late grandfather's brother but my generation still call hims Uncle) is Miguel's grandfather and for the first family event I can remember, he was the only one of his siblings who was there. That meant there wasn't a lot of live piano and violin playing (my grandfather and his siblings could all play the piano and the violin very well) so to try and make things interesting, my grandmother Nanay sang while Uncle Albert played the piano. That essentially kicked off an entertainment-filled afternoon. Uncle Albert started getting people to sing karaoke and at some point, it was my turn to take the stage. Apart from my mom and my grandmother, none of my other relatives there had heard me sing before. I decided to sing John Legend's "All of me" and it turned out to be quite well-received so I was asked to do an encore (I decided to do Sam Smith's "Lay me down"). By then, it was mid-afternoon and I needed to leave to head out to my third event of the day: the birthday celebration of my friend Mike.

Mike was the one who introduced me to all sorts of board games and as such, he wanted to spend the day playing these games and introducing them to some of his other friends. The great thing for me was that we ended up playing games I had already played before, so instead of trying to figure out how to play, I was now in the position to try and figure out how to do better and even win. It turned out to be a solid day for me, since I ended up on the winning end more often than I had in the past. I played Blueprints twice: in the first game I lost miserably but in the second, I tied for first. I also played Splendor three times, and I won twice. The third time, we were teaching a newbie and a couple of us helped her figure out what to do so she ended up winning (and even then I ended up only a point behind). Heck, even in Ultimate Werewolf, I was able to help the villagers beat the werewolves. :) Possibly my biggest win though was in Rococo, a very complicated game that I had played twice (losing very badly once). This time around, I somehow ended up winning, beating very good players in the process. Awesome!

It was a tremendously long but full day. I felt it this morning though; I overslept and I felt very tired. :) It's a good start to the year and I hope the rest of the year follows suit. (With my plans the next few weekends, it looks like it will be.)

No comments: