Sunday, November 29, 2015

Commemorative P5 and P10 coins

Very late last year, Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas released new commemorative five and ten-peso coins. Early this year, on social media, I started to see a few of my friends collecting these new coins and even working with their banks to get the coin or coins that they still didn't have. I was thinking of doing the same but I lucked out because I actually got my hands on at least one of each of these new coins with no effort. On a couple of trips for lunch, I got these coins as change. I didn't realize until later when I was looking up these new coins that I already had a complete set.

My new commemorative P10 and P5 coins

What exactly are these coins commemorating?

  • The P10 coin celebrates the 150th birthday of Apolinario Mabini. (It's similar to the other commemorative P10 coin I got last year that commemorated Bonifacio's 150th year. Makes sense since the standard P10 coin has both Mabini and Bonifacio on it.)
  • One of the P5 coins celebrates the 70th anniversary of the Leyte Gulf Landing. (General Douglas MacArthur, along with Philippine President Sergio Osmena, landed at Palo Beach in Leyte on October 20, 1944.) 
  • The other P5 coin is the Bagong Bayani Commemorative Coin  that honors Overseas Filipino Workers.

I would have loved to get one more of the Bagong Bayani P5 coins so that I have two sets (and it makes my coin collection album a bit more symmetrical; I'll write about this currency collection next) but I am just really happy that I have at least one of each (plus the commemorative P10 Bonifacio coin). You can click here to see what the other side of the Bagong Bayani P5 coin looks like.

No comments: