Thursday, August 13, 2015

Taking our dog to the vet

A couple of weeks ago, my mom texted me saying that we needed to take our dog to the vet. He had barely eaten in the previous two weeks and he looked very weary and lethargic. While there were some vet clinics near our house, I was more comfortable taking him to Animal House which is where we took our cat many times before. I already know the people there and I feel like they are better equipped at providing the necessary pet care so I figured the longer drive would be worth it.

Since we didn't have a cage big enough to fit our dog, I asked my nephew to join me in the car so he could keep our dog calm during the ride. Indeed, as I was driving, my nephew told me that our dog was shaking (it was his first time in a car). I tried driving a bit more slowly so as not to rattle him any further so it took a bit longer to get to Animal House. Once we got there, the vet took his temperature and true enough, he had a fever. She then took some blood so she could run some tests and she told us to wait for the results.

After around 20 minutes, the vet tells us that our dog's platelet count is quite low, most likely due to a parasitic infection. She prescribes antibiotics and tells us to make sure our dog takes 2 tablets a day. She told us that if the medicine does work, our dog will start eating more and he will become more energetic in just 3-5 days. True enough, after five days, my mom tells me that our dog was eating more regularly and was looking a lot better. When I saw our dog last Sunday, he was healthier than he was a week before and he also gained back the weight he lost (or at least some of it). It was a bit of an effort to take our dog to the vet but I'm happy we did because his condition may have gotten worse if he remained untreated. Hopefully, he continues to get better.

No comments: