Monday, July 20, 2015

Driving dangers

Yesterday, as I was on my way to meet up with my family, I was driving along a road that was veering sharply to the right. I had my right turn signal on and as I was midway through the turn, I saw that a motorcycle had tried to whiz past me on my right side, between me and the curb. I almost hit him and he actually had to stop his bike. Crazy!

Gotta say that a lot of motorcycle drivers tend to be a hazard on the road. Many of them pose a threat to others and themselves by lane splitting and snaking in and out traffic, even fast-moving traffic. I've been sideswiped three times by motorcycles that forced themselves into the space between me and the vehicle next to me and of course none of them stopped or acknowledged the fact that they scratched my car.

Of course, I don't harbor resentment for all bad motorcycle drivers. I also feel a lot of compassion for many of them, especially those who are tasked to deliver food within a certain time period after an order is placed to avoid penalties. They not only have to drive by as quickly as possible through bad traffic, but in many cases they have to do it even in dangerous driving conditions. I remember I was on my way home at night and it was pelting and I thought of having food delivered once I got home. I changed my mind when I realized how difficult it would be for any delivery guy to bring food to me on a motorcycle that stormy night. So I decided to drive to a restaurant that was still open and have my late night meal there instead. Interestingly enough, not long after that, I was having a late lunch during a heavy downpour when I saw a McDonald's delivery man gearing up to drive through the rain. It took him several minutes to get ready to drive through the rain. I just started thinking how tough that work is.

That said, I still wish that motorcycle drivers, especially those who won't get penalized for missing a delivery deadline, would learn to be much safer on the road. I remember during the wake of my grandfather a few years ago, the wake right next to his was for a 30-year-old man who passed away because of a motorcycling collision. Not only can bad driving cause damage to other people's vehicles, but even worse, it can result in the bike driver's injury or even death.

No comments: