Sunday, March 29, 2015

Juan Flavier's Legacy

This piece of news has been making its rounds recently. And why not? It's a wonderfully heartwarming true-to-life story about how good government can greatly improve the lives of people.

Juan Flavier was the Health Secretary back in the 1990s and under his leadership, the DOH launched Oplan Sagip Mata. Apparently, many Filipino children suffer from loss of vision but in a lot of cases, blindness can be prevented by proper medical care. One of the beneficiaries of this program was Sandra Magalang, a cross-eyed child from a poor family.

While we don't know whether or not she would have lost her sight given her situation, her eye problem was corrected and the assistance she got from DOH definitely made a significant impact in her life. So much so that during Flavier's wake late last year (sadly, he passed away on October 30, 2014), Sandra paid her last respects and left this note for Flavier's family:



To the family and loved ones of Dr. Flavier.

I apologize for writing at the back of this guest list, but this is the only way I can think of to convey my gratitude to your family and to Dr. Flavier.

My life was changed by his Oplan Sagip Mata almost 20 years ago, and thanks to this great man I was able to live differently despite being born cross-eyed and poor. Without him, I could not have achieved the honors I have achieved, and his health programs have helped me reach places I never thought I would. I even graduated summa cum laude from this university, and this is all thanks to your great father/grandfather/loved one.

Thank you, and my deepest condolences.

Sincerely,
Sandra Magalang, UP Diliman 2010, 2014

As it turned out, Sandra graduated salutatorian of UP Law last year 2014 and she placed third in the recently concluded Bar exams. Amazing! While Juan Flavier is no longer with us, his legacy lives on. He has definitely left an indelible mark in the lives of the many Filipinos.

photo from www.rappler.com

No comments: