Sunday, November 02, 2014

Movie Watching Part 4

I managed to see a few more movies in the cinema these last few weeks.Cool!

Gone Girl
photo courtesy of the Gone Girl wikipedia page

The most recent film I saw. My friend wanted to watch it and since I had been hearing a lot of positive feedback about this movie, I decided to accompany her and see it for myself. It's a really interesting film and while the first half of it seems like something we've already seen before, a lot of eerie twists and turns come up in the latter half that make this movie pretty unique. It is pretty disturbing though, and without going into too much detail as I do not want to spoil this film, people who watch it tend to want to discuss it afterwards. As people were trickling out of the cinema, you could hear everything talking to their companions about it and even my friend had her questions and concerns about it. It's definitely worth watching.

The Maze Runner

I accompanied my nephew to see this. Story-wise, this movie starts off with a bit of a "Lord of the Flies" vibe to it as you have a group of young men mysteriously locked in the center of a massive maze. This giant labyrinth is filled with a lot of dangers and no one had ever survived a night in it. Apparently, the movie follows the footsteps of The Hunger Games and Divergent in that it is an adaptation of a novel that has a post-apocalyptic setting and which features young adults and teenagers as its protagonists. I didn't know this when I watched it so the fact that is ends with a lot of unanswered questions left me wanting to see the next installment LOL.

The Book of Life

Once again, I took my nephew to see this. It was only when I was watching this that I realized it was a Halloween / Day of the Dead / All Saint's and Souls Day themed movie (talk about being slow LOL). This film involves a complicated love triangle that somehow becomes the center of a very important wager between the rulers of two different levels of the afterlife: the glorious Land of the Remembered and the bleak Land of the Forgotten. Among other things, I think this film tries to encourage and remind children to remember and cherish their loved ones who have passed on. The animation is absolutely impressive and the fact that the images are so vibrant and colorful makes this film very pleasant to watch. Story-wise though, it does feel a bit more suited for young kids.

No comments: