Friday, March 15, 2013

Viva Il Papa

Welcome to the new Pope Francis I!



Jorge Bergoglio, a Jesuit from Argentina, was elected a couple of days ago to become the new leader of the Catholic church. He is the first Jesuit pope and the first non-European pope in more than a thousand years. He is also the first pope to be named Francis and on a personal note, I'm happy that he chose his name in honor of St. Francis of Assisi because St. Francis is the patron saint of my alma mater.

You also have to admire his simplicity and humility as he turned down the red velvet cape when he was presented to the world and instead chose the simple white cassock of the papacy instead. He also actually picked up his own luggage at the Vatican hotel and paid for his own bill.

I pray for the best for our new Pope Francis I. Viva Il Papa!

No comments: