Saturday, February 25, 2012

Bella's Baptism

I attended the baptism of Bella, the daughter of my friend and namesake Christian. About half a dozen of my high school batchmates were there, including Joyce whom I haven't seen in a while so it was but natural for us to spend a lot of time catching up. The fact that our catch-up conversations were set against a pretty lavish baptismal party with lots of really good food and unlimited drinks certainly added to the enjoyment.

The unique twist to this evening was the acoustic band that was playing live music and the fact that members from the audience were invited to perform with them, Rockeoke-style. I didn't know this when I went to the party, and it was funny that as soon as Christian saw me arrive, he had this 'a-ha' look on his face then he headed over to get the song and lyric lists and hand them to me. And here I was expecting a quiet, chill night. I don't like impromptu performances since I like preparing myself psychologically when I perform but I didn't see a way out of it LOL so I decided to pick a song that I knew well. I was hoping there would be a few upbeat rock songs in the list but I couldn't find any. Instead, I picked old reliable - "I'll be" by Edwin McCain. I think I did decently well.

I can't recall attending any other christening celebration that started in the early evening (most of them are scheduled in the morning or in the afternoon) so it was almost 10pm when we called it a night. Joyce felt like she needed some coffee before heading home so we took a quick detour to Starbucks. Flub of the night: I somehow found myself playing with my half-filled coffee cup while talking to Joyce. What followed was a scene straight out of some stupid slapstick comedy as I ended up accidentally tipping my coffee cup over and into my lap and shirt. Sucks too that I was wearing a white shirt that night. Thankfully we were near my home so we quickly said our goodbyes so that I could immediately try to get the cafe mocha out of my shirt before it becomes a permanent stain LOL. (I did. :))

No comments: