Friday, June 06, 2008

Marathon training tracker - June 5

I was initially planning to run 10km on Wednesday but due to scheduling constraints, I decided to run instead on Thursday. I'm still training on a treadmill even if I actually perform better on the road. This decision on my part is due to two things: (1) it is so hot this summer that if I run on the road now, I'm certain I will get dehydrated and tired - a lot more really quickly, and (2) running in the gym allows me to go home immediately after a run and put ice on my knees. My plan is to keep running on a treadmill for the next two weeks then do a "short" run on the road (maybe about 8km) and see where my endurance level is at. Hopefully by then my leg muscles would have strengthened sufficiently to provide better support to my knees and keep me injury-free. And hopefully my stamina would have improved a lot as well which will allow me to fight dehydration much better.

In any case, I managed to complete my 10km run in almost 1 hour 5 minutes. My speed has ever-so-slightly improved over the last few runs which is a good sign for me. I also managed to keep increasing my speed all the way to the end.

Next goal: run 15km in 1 hour and 40 minutes on Saturday.

No comments: