Friday, January 18, 2008

And the AI7 saga begins

American Idol kicked off season 7 this week. They showed us a couple of great performances already, and more than a few crazy ones. Honestly, you see some of them and you think that they just want their 15 minutes of fame. Or infamy. Some of them seem to force bad auditions just to get on TV - we've seen that happend in previous seasons as well - and then there are still some people who think they can sing but aren't really good (and in some cases, just downright dreadful). Of course we've witnesses some damn good auditions already, but the judges have also let a couple of people through whom I thought were not worthy. Or it could just be me...

The highlight of the 4-hours we've seen this season so far though has been overnight sensation Renaldo Lapuz, who apparently is Filipino (probably migrated to the US and is now naturalized or something). How they allowed a 44-year old to audition, I don't know. And in all honesty, the first few minutes of his audition made me cringe.

But as the audition went on and the judges started to get really into it, singing along with the lyrics that they ended up learning after hearing the verses sung over and over to them, I started to get really entertained LOL. Before I knew it, I was in stitches! Here's a video clip of his audition:



video posted in youtube by user bobbageddon


What's scary about this is that the song is actually quite catchy, and after hearing him sing it so many times, it's a bit tough to get out of your head LOL. Folks were singing it after the show, and a lot of those who watched the episode last night just had to look it up in youtube immediately after to enjoy the show once again. And share it to those who didn't get to see it yet!

Simon predicted that the song would be a hit. I don't know if anyone is actually going to record it but if they add a couple of verses, get a really good singer to perform it, it could actually be a great song - possibly even better than those lame Idol finale songs like 'Inside your heaven', 'Do I make your proud', and 'My Destiny' haha. Either that or they use it as the theme song for Idol Gives Back (assuming they have another one this season).

So I guess after four seasons, we now have our new William Hung LOL.

1 comment:

diyowel said...

"I am Your Brother" actually enjoys heavy play at most FM stations. They added a dance beat to it to make it radio-friendly. I actually heard it palyed and sung in a videoke bar!