Tuesday, April 03, 2007

[SWEDEN] Happy Beer Day!

I had my first beer in Sweden last Saturday. And it wasn't long after the first before the next five followed.

Marlena was planning to rent a bike on Saturday but when I told her I was thinking of taking a day trip to Malmo, she said she would like to join me. We planned to meet at the train station at 10am on Saturday. She called me at 9am to ask if someone else could join us - she made friends with Martynas, a Lithuanian guy who is currently booked in the same hotel as she is. Naturally, I told her to bring anyone she wanted. The more the merrier!

We took a little tour of Malmo (pictures to follow in a succeeding post) before deciding to have a very late lunch. We ended up in Lilla Torg which was jampacked with people, so we found ourselves sitting on bar stools in an American restaurant. I've steered clear of beers so far because they cost about 50 kronor or 350 pesos (yes, I am sure by now you have figured out that it is an expensive country to live in!) so I tend to prefer spending my money on necessities rather than on entertainment. But it was definitely the perfect atmosphere for me to try my first beer and so I ordered my first beer, a Norrlands Guld.

We head out of the bar and then walk around a bit more before deciding to sit outdoors in Pizza Hut - it was the only place we saw that still had seats outside, and since it was 15 degrees Celsius with wonderfully bright sunshine, sitting indoors was not an option - so we grab a table and order another round. By the time we guzzled up our beers, it was around 4pm and most of the bars in Lilla Torg had free tables outisde. So we head to another bar and I have my third, and last, beer in Malmo that day. We take the train back to Lund at around 6pm.

We split up at the Lund central station and I head back to my apartment. I sort out some things out at home before I end up heading out to meet up with Mattias, a Swedish guy who worked in the hotel I stayed in and who I ended up being friends with (actually, I am now friends with all the receptionists in that hotel and I regularly pass by there to say 'hi' and chat with them for several minutes at a time). Anyway, Mattias said he would take me around town that night for a few beers. We end up going to three different bars, and I ended up having three more beers before I called it a night.

All in all a fantastic beer day. I don't want it to happen a lot though. There are cheaper ways to enjoy being in this wonderful country. =)

No comments: