Thursday, July 06, 2006

Too bad England didn't get this far

Italy and France in the World Cup final. Whodda thunk?

It’s quite interesting really how things have panned out in this World Cup. Probably the most surprising (for me) is that I actually haven’t seen one entire game yet (the only game I sorta saw live was Argentina’s demolition of Serbia and Montenegro, and that was because I was with Anna and Joyce in Mitch’s house and Ferg had pre-paid WC coverage). I think the amount of stuff going on in my life combined with the lateness of the games and the fact that you either go to a bar at 3am or you pay P6000 to watch the games at the comfort of your own home contributed to my semi-aloofness this WC season. Which is a pity really since there have been a lot of interesting results.

I haven’t been following football for a long time. In fact, my interest in this beautiful sport began only in 2001 when I went to the UK and watched from a sports pub the England-Albania WC 2002 qualifying match with my English friend David and his fiancĂ©-then-wife-now Emma. So I don’t know how things have been panning out in WC history But if memory serves me correctly, Brazil have gotten to the finals in the last 3 WCs (is that right?). So to have four Western Europe countries in the semifinals (Portugal, Germany, Italy, and France) must be an occurrence that doesn’t always happen.

Will I watch the final? Dunno. Maybe. I figure I should but considering that I have a planed 30-km training run on Monday, maybe I should get as much sleep as I can on Sunday night instead. I’ll probably just stick to watching the Wimbledon final.

No comments: